Skip navigation.

1 2 1

IRAN: Mr Behi/Steve

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Thursday Work

Wow.

I just read some of your blog's on your main page, it brings into context to me the difference in our lives. In the UK the trivial is the norm. We are more concerned day to day with celebrity and scandal than politics and ethics.

At work we have a site shop in the canteen on the newspaper rack outside I took note of some of the stories..

Broadly speaking we have three groups of paper, tabloids, broadsheets and what I term as inbetweenies (these papers pose a broadsheet style journalism but are really tabloids and in my opinion are the worst papers - at least you know that the tabloids are utter rubbish).

Today's UK tabloids headlined with a 22 year old girl who had been caught on a speed camera applying make-up, she was fined £200 but they couldn't ban her as in between this offence and now she had already been banned for drink driving!
One of the broadsheets headlined a story about Bush. His advisors (who were integral in the advice re Iraq invasion) have spokenpubliclyy that the decision to invade (ahem, sorry I mean liberate...) was a mistake, and why is Bush not listening to them now?
In all honesty Ididn'tt look at the inbetweenies but they probably had some scare story about how the UK housing market was about to collapse or we are all going to die of Bird Flu next week or how we shouldn't speak to anyone in case something horrific happens. I tell you I hate those papers, the whole of middle England (demographically) are reading them and becoming more and more afraid of the world.


Conversation at work was the usual mixture of triviality. 'Did you see 'The Apprentice' (TV show where people compete for £100,00 job with self made millionaire Sir Alan Sugar) last night?....I can't believe he didn't fire the nutcase...', 'Almost the weekend, are you out on the beers?'.
It struck me that I really am submerged in a capitalist environment, I'm trying to scrape 50 cents out of a $50,000 car to help increase company profits to greater than $X.XX billion.

I was late this morning. Ten minutes late leaving home equals about half an hour late to work, the traffic gets really heavy. When I arrived I remembered I had a meeting straight away and had to prepare some ppt's (Microsoft - you can't escape them).
Later we had a good look over a competitor vehicle and got dewey eyed over the front cross brace (how sad?!?).
I then stayed over and worked my usual couple of hours of overtime (for which I won't be paid because times are hard - we only made $X.XX billion last year you see - and if I don't do the time my chances of getting promoted and being able to afford the car I'm working on will be eternalldiminisheded).

Anyway gonna sign off now and watch channel 4 news - they are live in Isfahan, Iran! Reporting on the hot issues you know all too well.Signing off...Steve

PS A bit of a jumbly rant today.Sorryry.

posted by Steve @ 6:22 PM   

8 Comments:

At 7:38 AM, Blogger ArkAngel said...

Steve, have you had any connections with Iran or Iranians whatsoever before starting this blog? (BTW it's already warming up nicely, good fun to read)

 
At 5:55 PM, Blogger Steve said...

Hey Arkangel, I have no connections at all with Iran. My cousin works for C4 and they had an internal memo asking for people to do these blogs of specific age groups and professions. I guess late twenties engineers was on of the groups!I'm looking forward to learning a bit more about Iranian life from Mr Behi!

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger Steve said...

Fee,

Had a look at your blog - great stuff. I hope you have a great trip. Take care, Steve

 
At 9:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there,
Iran is a big country with many different cultures as you well know. I am an Iranian who lived in UK for over 20 years. I have served my national service during the Iran/Iraq war and have seen many things in my life and still love Persia with all my heart. You need to go to Iran and feel it (experiment it) yourself. Persian People are the most hospitable people on the earth (You can ask C4 news people for their views regarding how they got treated in Iran.) Any question welcome.

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger John Hood said...

This is already quite the riveting read.

 
At 1:59 AM, Blogger Deborah Eley De Bono said...

I'm so enjoying your blog so far. What a great idea and I look forward to more info about Iran and Coventry.

In the US our papers carry the same scary stories about the bursting real estate bubble and us all contracting Bird Flu, but we have to fear something, right? It keeps our mind occupied and not thinking of the important stuff.

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger Steve said...

Wow thanks for your comments, especially Piopa, I hoped I get a least one negative comment. Read your post on Piopa's Blade. Quite unbelievable! Makes me realise how smelly, ugly, slow witted and weak I really am.
Yours, in defeat,
Steve

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I Love the Apprentice!! I'm sooo Sad lol!!!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

I Power Blogger