Skip navigation.

1 2 1

IRAN: Mr Behi/Steve

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Mid Week Blues


So, I made it to Wednesday and much like the rest of the UK I'm counting the hours till the weekend.
This time of year England is grey. I catch a glimpse of the sun in the morning rush to work, sit in the office shrouded from the elements until half past five and then reenter the urban grey of the Midlands.

Last weekend was great. On Friday I played a gig with the new band I'm in (www.forevermoore.co.uk), only our fifth show and it went superbly. Saturday was recovery day and then Saturday night was my best friends sisters home coming party. She spent last year traveling, India, far east and Australia. She was looking great, although seemed daunted coming back to 'the real world'.
Sunday was the opening race of the Formula 1 season (I'm a big fan...). The race and especially the new qualifying didn't disappoint. Very much looking forward to the next race in Malaysia.

This weekend will be a family one for me. This will involve lazy Friday with takeaway, board games, a film and probably a bottle of wine! Saturday we'll try and find a day out, I'll be on google pretty sharpish after this blog. Sunday we'll invite some of our relatives over for a traditional Sunday roast dinner.
I love Sundays with the family.

My Nan (Grandmother) is amazing. She is 78 and so full of life. She's also hilarious, sometimes intentionally, usually accidentally. My favorite
Nan quote is her description of an animal, after watching a wild life program mid week she tried to describe, "You know they had those sea creatures on it, the ones with the eight testicles'. Brilliant.
She makes me laugh so much.

I think sometimes when I talk to my Nan and her friends (usually boyfriends - my grandad died over ten years ago) I get an insight to how little we appreciate the life we have here in the UK. She was in the land army during the second world war. My grandad was an artillery man but was captured pretty much straight away so was prisoner of war for about five years. The uncertainty they went through during those years (with regard to freedom, peace, life and death) must be very similar to the feelings you have in the middle east. With 60 years of peace time behind us we have become complacent. We take our freedom and liberties for granted. That's really what I was getting at in my last blog. This fascination with more trivial issues is from our stability with our national politics. It isn't that we are not political at all and people do care. It's just that the issues are not close to us. Like they were for our grandparents and they are for the people in the middle east.

Anyway to leave you on a more trivial note. I noticed on your blog site some of your favorite albums, here are my top five tunes:


1. A day in the life - The Beatles (Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band)
2. God only knows - The Beach Boys (Pet Sounds)
3. America - Simon & Garfunkel (Bookends)
4. So what - Miles Davis (Kind of Blue)
5. Life on Mars - David Bowie (Hunky Dory)

Fairly typical Anglo-American stuff eh?!?

Nearly in there were: superstition - Stevie Wonder, I want you back - Jackson 5, Under the bridge - Red Hot Chilli peppers, I could go on all day...think I'll go and pop a CD on...


Take care,
Steve

posted by Steve @ 7:02 PM   

6 Comments:

At 8:16 PM, Blogger minnetonkafelix said...

Well buddy, your choice of music is pretty damned near mine. I could toss in some local color, being from Minnesota I would have to insert "Like A Rolling Stone".

 
At 1:43 AM, Blogger Stumpy said...

Steve,

I just happened on this blog while I was procrastinating doing some homework. I'm an engineering student in New Jersey, USA studying mechanical engineering. Your work sounds interesing. Do you have any advice for someone like like me trying to get my foot in the door by getting a summer internship?
Thanks,
Stephanie

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger Chelsea said...

lol @ the creature with 8 testicles!!!

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger As Bjorn said...

Just wandered in and enjoyed reading about your grandmother and grandfather and their time in the second world war. My uncle, my dad's bro, was shot down over greece and spent much of the war in a stalag. As for your music, I agree with the guy who added Like A Rolling Stone, but let's face it, there's plenty of wonderful stuff and it is hard to say these five except at a specific instance in time.

I remember the sixties well, and Simon's America really spoke to how we felt about things. Yet, I also remember the beach boys and how much I love the whole Pet Sounds album. Have you heard the Smile project Brian put out? Just beautiful.

Anyway, thanks for your words. I enjoyed them.

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger Steve said...

Hey all, thanks for the comments.
I hate to write this but I've never been a huge Dylan fan (I can hear the gufawws from here). But I do appreciate his poetry and 'Like a rolling stone' is a classic.

Stumpy. Ypu are right to want an internship. They are great for understanding how the content of your degree applies to the real world. I wish I'd listened harder in FE, Materials and Mechanics with what I know now. When applying to a company research them heavily before hand. Try to find out about specific areas and in particular find out about the software they may use. If you can uses their chosen package you will be in, remember they want to get some work out of you. I landed on my feet with my job as I has completed a crash thesis and used the same software codes as the company used. I joined the company and hit the ground running.

Miz - one day I'm going to write a book of Nan quotes she's hilarious.

Thanks all.
Sorry about not loving Bob.

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger Chelsea said...

steve~
My fiance is also not the biggest fan of Mr. Dylan. He insists that his voice is "annoying". The blasphemy! I just try to explain to him that the voice is unique, and really, it is the poetic nature of his songs that made the most lasting impression (upon me, at least). That's okay, though... his parents are a bit older than mine and he regularly insists that I was raised by a couple of hippies, so I guess it is natural that we don't quite see eye to eye on the subject.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

I Power Blogger